Hey there Fit Fam! My name is Jolynn Toma. I am an ISSA Certified Personal Trainer, an ISSA Specialist in Fitness Nutrition, and am CPR/AED Certified. I have competed in four NPC bikini competitions - one of which was a national level event.
(St. Louis, MO - March 2012)
There I competed against more than a hundred girls who all share very similar goals and beliefs. It was one of the most rewarding and unexplainable experiences of my life, and I deeply treasure everything I learned from it.
In May 2012, I was diagnosed with two herniated discs in my spine and told I could no longer compete in these competitions. Unfortunately, the only way to fix this problem for good is to have surgery, and I refuse to do that at such a young age. The cons: I can no longer compete in bikini shows. The initial effect of hearing that news was devastating. My life plans, my goals. All of it ended within minutes. The pros: however cliche this may sound, it made me sit back and realize how great my life truly is. I don't need to compete to be successful. I stopped focusing on the negatives and started looking at the positives. #FitFluential
"Go forward with your shoulders back, with your head high, and with a smile. With your enthusiastic spirit, perseverance, and integrity of character, put your intelligence, talents, and passion into action. Never let setbacks excuse you from trying again. It often takes many attempts to be a success. Never let negative people influence you or direct what you do. Always face forward and see your whole life shining bright for you. Never let go of your character, ideals, or activism for the good of this world. Never let go of the passions that inspire you, guide you, and always smile on you. These passions will lead you to reach your fullest potential. Hold on to them, and they will keep you honest, caring, kind, and generous with the finest gifts your heart can give." ~ Jacqueline Schiff
Life before fitness: I graduated with a Bachelors in Marketing and a minor in Spanish but once I moved back home, I realized it wasn't my true passion. I got my AFAA Group Fitness Certification in 2009 and taught a wide variety of different classes including: step aerobics, spinning, kickboxing, strength, and abs. I taught for about a year and realized I wanted more. I wanted to be able to touch people's lives one on one so I decided to get my personal training certification in 2010. From there, I trained at two different gyms until I saved enough to open my own private training studio.
I created this website and blog (Lift Pray Love) to hopefully touch others in some way and encourage you to live a healthier and happier life. It's not always about the physical features. It's about how you feel on the inside that shines through to the outside. Finding balance is the hardest part, but once you find it - mentally, physically, and emotionally - you can rule your own world.
My husband and I have a four legged child that we are mildly obsessed with. Meet Nitro.
Don't let him fool you. He's never that innocent. We're normally graced with this attitude.
And we are beyond thrilled to have been blessed with our first baby in September 2013!
Follow along as I share my life with you, tips to eating clean and exercising, workouts that I personally created, and recipes that both I have made and have found through other great bloggers and fitness professionals.
I am interested in and available for future speaking opportunities as well as modeling positions. For advice, suggestions, opportunities, or just to say hello, please contact me through email or one of my many social media sites.
- AFAA Group Fitness Certification - 2009
- ISSA Personal Trainer Certification - 2010
- 5th Place in first NPC bikini competition in Chicago, IL - May 2011 (qualified for National level event)
- Opened a personal Private Training Studio - January 2012
- ISSA Fitness Nutrition Certification - 2012
- 5th Place at NPC bikini competition in Davenport, IA - April 2012 (qualified for National level event)
- One of my recipes appeared in the September 2012 issue of Oxygen Magazine.
- I've been interviewed and featured on RXMuscleGirl.com.
- I spoke in front of kids (aged 4-14) at Cigna about the effects of health and fitness, both in school and with their families - September 2012
- I was the Exercise Motivator for the 2012 Making Strides walk in Orland Park, IL - October 2012
- I became and am currently a FitFluential Ambassador - November 2012
- I was a Larabar Ambassador - January 2013 to December 2013
- Interviewed and featured in an article on MensFitness.com - March 2013
- Blogger with US News and World Report - August 2013 to current
I can do all this through him who gives me strength ~ Philippians 4:13